RFE/RL hackathon terms and conditions
By submitting your application for the RFE/RL Hackathon, you agree to accept and abide by the following RFE/RL Hackathon Terms and Conditions.
RFE/RL Hackathon & Eligibility
The RFE/RL Hackathon is hosted and organized by RFE/RL, Inc., registered at Corporation Trust Center, 1209 Orange Street, Wilmington, Delaware 19801, USA, and with headquarters at 1201 Connecticut Avenue, N.W., Washington D.C. 20036, USA, represented by RFE/RL,Inc., odštěpný závod, with its registered office at Vinohradská 159a, 100 00, Prague 10, Czech Republic, reg. no. 613 89 269, registered in the commercial register maintained by Prague City Court, section A, file no. 10475 („RFE/RL“).
The RFE/RL Hackathon will take place from 6 September 2019, 5 p.m. until 7 September 2019, 8 p.m. at Hub Hub, 5 Perlova Street, 1100 00 Prague 1.
Over the course of two days, designers, programmers, and journalists meet to build technology prototypes. The themes that the groups will hack (prototype) around are: fake news, open debate and news censorship. The aim is to offer people and professionals a chance to come together and learn from each other’s successes and failures. Journalists and IT teams get to meet and collaborate, solve problems, share skills and help build better products.
The RFE/RL Hackathon is open to everyone who is at least 18 years of age and who submitted an application.
Participation in the RFE/RL Hackathon is free of charge.
Registration & Selection of Participants
- All applicants must register as individuals before 5 September 2019. Registration is only possible through the online registration form.
- Each applicant must enter the required information on the registration form. No late submissions will be accepted. Any application containing incomplete, false, erroneous, fraudulent, forged, or tampered material will not be considered.
- RFE/RL will select 50 individuals as participants from all qualified applications on the basis of information provided during the registration. Selection is fully in discretion of RFE/RL. The chosen applicants (i.e. participants) will be notified by a formal acceptance notice via email. The other qualified applicants will receive an email confirming that they are on the waiting list and will be contacted if a slot becomes available. Unqualified applicants will be informed that they were not chosen.
- RFE/RL will form teams from the participants. Teams will be formed before the event and the teams’ members will be notified by email. Formation of teams is fully indiscretion of RFE/RL
- Each team may submit only one entry for competition. The teams have time to work and finalize their entry for the competition from 6 September 2019, 7 p.m. until 7 September 2019, 3 p.m.
- Selection of the winning entry/entries for the RFE/RL Hackathon shall be carried out by the Judging Panel. The Judging Panel’s decision is final and cannot be applied. The Judging Panel and the relevant selection criteria for the decision will be announced during the designated session. Decision of the Judging Panel is final and cannot be applied.
Ideas & Intellectual Property
- All intellectual property rights in the entries shall remain with the participant(s) who created them unless otherwise agreed with RFE/RL. Participants agree to share their ideas with all others at the RFE/RL Hackathon. RFE/RL does not accept any responsibility to protect participant’s ideas, works and results disclosed or generated during the RFE/RL Hackathon if not agreed otherwise with RFE/RL.
- Participant acknowledges and agrees that RFE/RL or other participants or third parties may have developed or commissioned ideas, works or results that are similar to the entry of participant’s team, or may develop something similar in the future.
- All data sets, hardware and other equipment made available by RFE/RL to participants during or in connection with the RFE/RL Hackathon shall remain the sole and exclusive property of RFE/RL and may not leave the event premises.
Instructions & Behavior
A participant or team may be disqualified for any committed unlawful act. Reasons for disqualification may include, but are not limited to, fraud, any other form of dishonesty, misappropriation or infringement of the intellectual property of others, misuse of RFE/RL intellectual property, and/or any failure to comply with these RFE/RL Hackathon Terms and Conditions.
No technical equipment (computers, servers, etc.) will be provided by RFE/RL. The participants must provide own equipment. RFE/RL will fund the RFE/RL Hackathon, including food and drinks, and marketing material. Also material support can be provided by partners of the RFE/RL Hackathon
RFE/RL shall not be liable for any damages or claims that might arise or occur during or in connection with the RFE/RL Hackathon, except in cases of intent or gross negligence on the part of RFE/RL. Should the participant in connection with participation at the RFE/RL Hackathon violate any rights of third party or RFE/RL or commit any unlawful act, the participant is solely responsible for such action/s.
The applicant gives RFE/RL consent to use following personal data as specified below.
- Personal data (i.e. name, surname, email and phone number) will be used and processed in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. (1)
- The purpose of the processing of personal data is registration for the RFE/RL Hackathon, selection of participants, formation of teams and any other actions necessary to be performed before the RFE/RL Hackathon starts in connection with the preparation of this event. Personal data will be kept by RFE/RL only.
- The consent’s duration: the consent is given for the period of  years starting from the date of organizing of the RFE/RL Hackathon.
- Information on the rights of the data subject: Granting of this consent is voluntary however without such consent RFE/RL cannot enable registration at the RFE/RL Hackathon. The applicant may withdraw the consent at any time for any purpose of processing. Withdrawal of the consent is possible by contacting RFE/RL at email@example.com. Based on applicable laws and regulations the applicant has the right of access, rectification, or erasure (“right to be forgotten”) of personal data processed by RFE/RL; the right to restriction of the processing of such personal data;or the right to data portability. In the event that the applicant believes that his/her personal data is being processed unlawfully, he/she can contact the supervisory authority, which in the Czech Republic is “Úřad pro ochranu osobních údajů” (www.uoou.cz). (2)
The participant gives RFE/RL consent to use following personal data and to take photos and videos during the RFE/RL Hackathon as specified below.
- Personal data (i.e. name, surname, email and phone number), photos, and videos will be used and processed in accordance with applicable law and regulations. (3)
- The purpose of the processing of personal data and use of photos/videos is to ensure organization of the RFE/RL Hackathon as well as for promotional use (i.e. for promotion of this or similar events organized by RFE/RL and/or its partners participating at the RFE/RL Hackathon). Photos/videos can be posted on RFE/RL website and/or social media accounts or similarly used by partners, their names will be announced at the beginning of the RFE/RL Hackathon and are available at https://hackathon.rferl.org. Personal data, photos, videos will be kept by RFE/RL and by partners.
- The consent’s duration: the consent is given for the period of 5 years starting from the date on which RFE/RL Hackathon starts (i.e. September 6, 2019).
- Information on the rights of the data subject: Granting of this consent is voluntary however without such consent RFE/RL cannot enable participation at the RFE/RL Hackathon. The participant may withdraw the consent at any time for any purpose of processing. Withdrawal of the consent is possible by contacting RFE/RL at firstname.lastname@example.org. Based on applicable laws and regulations the participant has the right of access, rectification, or erasure (“right to be forgotten”) of personal data processed by RFE/RL; the right to restriction of the processing of such personal data;or the right to data portability. In the event that the participant believes that his/her personal data is being processed unlawfully, he/she can contact the supervisory authority, which in the Czech Republic is “Úřad pro ochranu osobních údajů” (www.uoou.cz).(4)
WebExpo offers 5 free tickets to the winning team. WebExpo events will take place in Prague on September 20-22, 2019.